Live in an HDB and love bigger dogs?
If you live in an HDB, then you probably know that it is hard to have a larger dog. As such, Singapore mixed-breed dogs are disadvantaged in the usual adoption process as they are slightly bigger and often do not fit the criteria required by the AVA for “HDB-approved” dogs.
Do not despair large dog lovers! A special initiative, Project ADORE (ADOption and REhoming of dogs) gives our beloved “Singapore Special” (or local, loveable mongrels) a fighting chance at being legally adopted into loving families who lives in an HDB apartment. SOSD officially joined Project ADORE in May 2014 which means you can adopt a larger size dog from us.
The dog has to:
- Be a local medium-sized mixed-breed or “Singapore Special”
- Be at least 6 months old and sterilised
- Have shoulder height up to 55cm
- Undergo compulsory basic obedience training by AVA-accredited trainers
You will have to:
- Sign a declaration that they will observe the Code of Responsible Behaviour (CORB)
- Understand that only 1 registered dog is allowed per HDB household
- Check that their immediate neighbours are agreeable to them having the dog
- Ensure that their new furry friend is sterilised, vaccincated and microchipped
- Apply for an AVA license and make sure their furry friend is “HDB-approved”
In SOSD, we have many dogs that are already obedience trained and qualified under this project. So for you big dog lovers out there, you might just find a special SOSD dog that could be your Best Friend Forever!
Do your part in Project ADORE – choose to adopt a Singapore Special!
For more information, interested parties can:
- Browse through our adoption photo gallery and search “HDB-approved” dogs
- Select the dog you would like to meet and register your interest by filling out the form underneath the dog’s profile
- Take a look at this comprehensive guide to caring for a Singapore Special